Audition Announcement: Prelude Student Showcase
The Prelude Student Showcase (formerly the Youth Benefit Concert) provides young, aspiring musicians from our community with an opportunity to audition and perform in front of a larger audience. All participants are also invited to attend a masterclass with a professional artist.
This year’s Prelude Student Showcase will take place on May 10, 2023 at Weber State University. It will feature The Merz Trio and local, young musicians of all skill levels selected through an audition process. Apply now to participate in this unique experience!
- Registration Forms due April 1, 2023
- Auditions on Saturday, April 8, 2023 at Browning Center at Weber State
- Applicants will receive their audition date & time via email
- Masterclass & Reception with Merz Trio on May 9 at Weber State
- Prelude Student Showcase on May 10 at Weber State
- Open to all instruments and vocalists ages 8-17
- Open to Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced Students (Students from each skill level will be selected to perform.)
- There is no cost to participate
- May be limited to first 60 registrants, so don’t delay!
WEBFORM APPLICATION (apply online)
Download an Application and Return By Mail
2023 Prelude Student Showcase Audition Rules
Application Deadline: April 1, 2023
Audition Date: April 8, 2023
Prelude Student Showcase: May 10, 2023
- The Prelude Student Showcase Auditions are open to students & ensembles in Northern Utah ages 8-17 studying a musical instrument or voice.
- There is no cost to participate.
- The Auditions will take place in-person on Saturday, April 8, 2023 at Weber State University. There is no charge to audition or perform.
- The Youth Benefit Concert takes place on Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at Weber State University. Students selected for the concert will perform the piece they auditioned with.
- Audition Applicants must be 17 or younger before May 10, 2023.
- Audition Applications must be submitted to Onstage Ogden on or before April 1, 2023. Applications may be submitted online through mail-in form, or via online.
- Audition Applicants must be available to perform, if selected, at the Prelude Student Showcase on May 10, 2023 at Weber State University.
- All Audition Applicants must be available to audition on Saturday, April 8, 2023. Applicants will be assigned a 10-minute time slot between 9am-1pm.
- We will not be accepting video auditions.
- Audition Applicants will be notified of their audition time via email. Slots will be assigned in the order applications are received.
- Audition Applicants must audition with the same piece that they plan to play in the Youth Benefit Concert on May 10, 2023, if selected.
- Audition Applicants will be judged against others of their same level rather than age or school grade. The levels are as follows:
Beginner Level: Students who have played their instruments for 1-3 years. Audition pieces must be less than 3 minutes in length.
Intermediate Level: Students who have played their instruments for 4-6 years. Audition pieces must be less than 5 minutes in length.
Advanced Level: Students who have played their instruments for 7+ years. Audition pieces must be less than 8 minutes in length.
- Audition pieces must adhere to the time limits as listed above. If a student auditions a piece that is longer than this time limit, they will be cut off and they will not be considered. Please note judges may also ask applicants to cut to a cadenza or to cut early due to time constraints.
- Students are strongly encouraged to memorize their pieces.
- Students may audition as an ensemble but ensembles are limited to groups of up to 6 students. All ensemble members must meet the above age criteria. Level will be based on the most experienced member of the ensemble.
- Audition Applicants must provide their own accompaniment if necessary. Pianos will be available in audition rooms.
- Due to time and space limitations, Audition Applications may be capped at 60 students. Therefore, it is recommended that Applications be submitted as early as possible.
- Students will receive constructive feedback following their audition.
- Students selected to perform in the Prelude Student Showcase will receive 4 complimentary tickets to the concert.
- All students who audition will be invited to attend a special Reception & Masterclass with The Merz Trio on Tuesday May 9, 2023.
- Students are also encouraged to apply for the Jean L. Pell Music Scholarship. Scholarship recipients are chosen independently from Prelude Student Showcase performances.